fig. 9 - The earth is a sphere because that is the most perfect mathematical shape and all heavenly bodies are perfect. (Pythagoras, Ancient Greek)
The Outer Sun is an ongoing series illustrating human ideas about the cosmos.
Vous vs. Tu, French “you”.
Chart from the LA Times.
This is where you ended up if you were naughty in the Late Middle Ages! ;) ~S
Prisons and Punishments in Late Medieval London
University of London Royal Holloway: Doctor of Philosophy (2012)
In the history of crime and punishment the prisons of medieval London have generally been overlooked. This may have been because none of the prison records have survived for this period, yet there is enough information in civic and royal documents, and through archaeological evidence, to allow a reassessment of London’s prisons in the later middle ages. This thesis begins with an analysis of the purpose of imprisonment, which was not merely custodial and was undoubtedly punitive in the medieval period. Having established that incarceration was employed for a variety of purposes the physicality of prison buildings and the conditions in which prisoners were kept are considered…
mythology meme: [3/3] mythical rulers
↳ romulus and remus of alba longa
Twin sons of Mars and Rhea Silvia, they were nursed by a she-wolf as infants and raised by a simple shepherd and his wife. Once they reached adulthood, they helped overthrow the false king of Alba Longa. Rather than press their own claim to the throne, however, they decided to restore the rightful king, and found a new city of their own. A disagreement arose, concerning the location of this new city; the brothers fought and Remus was killed. Romulus founded Rome and brought it glory, but as the years passed he became increasingly autocratic, and in the end either disappeared, ascended to the heavens to become a god in his own right, or was killed by the Senate, depending on the particular version of the myth.
- 1: Your native language.
- 2: Which languages you know.
- 3: Which languages you are learning, or want to learn.
- 4: Does anyone in your family speak a language that you don't?
- 5: Your favourite language to listen to.
- 6: Your least favourite language to listen to.
- 7: Your favourite word in your native language.
- 8: Your favourite word in your second language(if you know one).
- 9: Your favourite word in a language you don't really speak.
- 10: A list of your favourite words in any language.
- 11: A song you like in a language other than English.
- 12: If you could pick one language to learn automatically without having to work for it, which language would you choose?
- 13: Have you ever seen a whole movie in a language you don't understand?
- 14: A language you like, but wouldn't put the effort into learning.
- 15: Write a short introduction of yourself in a language other than English.
You are on your way from the LOCAL LIBRARY to the U-HAUL rental center to rent a moving van when you are suddenly confronted by a TEMPLAR KNIGHT. He wields his BROADSWORD threateningly, expressing through his firm body language that he shows no interest in letting you pass. What is your course of action?
You turn and walk away from the LOCAL LIBRARY, abandoning your mission to rent a moving van from the U-HAUL rental center. The TEMPLAR KNIGHT does not pursue you; as you make some distance from him, you can hear him sheathing his BROADSWORD back into its scabbard. You get home, but you never do rent a U-Haul van and have to give away all of your belongings in your old apartment before you move into your new apartment, leaving you eternally bitter and unhappy…